11 December 2010

Less Seriously

Allowing myself to not take myself seriously has made the world of a difference, and I owe a lot of it to the wise words of George Carlin found on YouTube, on The View no less.

To see the entire video click here. Below is a translation of him speaking from 3:55 to 4:33. I highly recommend watching all of it, though. Its chock full of excellence on his part.


"When I first changed the kind of stuff I was doing in the late sixties–– I had been a suit and tie comic out of the fifties and I had short hair and all that–– and I realized I was doing the wrong thing for the wrong people and I let myself change into more of a freer (if you would use the word hippie) look and attitude and I realized that, um, I said to my wife at that time when I changed I said, "You know even if I only filled coffeehouses three days a week for the rest of my life I'd be happy doing that." And when you let go of goals and stuff, I mean the attachment to goals–– that's when things come to you. You should have an end point, but not a thing like that."

No comments:

Post a Comment